Pages

Friday 19 August 2016

making ginger beer

I need:

Water, Ginger, Lemon Juice, Sugar, Yeast


Combine:

  1. 600 ml water (cold or room temp - if its hot you'll cook and kill your yeast) 
  2. 1 tsp yeast 
  3. Ginger juice 
  4. 10 tsp Sugar - Provides food for the yeast to use and multiply 
  5. juice of 2 lemons - provides an acidic environment that helps prevent other bacteria from taking over. 
  6. Stir all of this in the jar, cover the jar with some fabric or a paper towel and place jar in a warm area 
  7. Everyday for the next week feed your yeast with ginger powder and 3 tsp sugar and stir in. 
  8. After a week, pour the ginger beer through cheese cloth and drink.



What is that stuff at the bottom?
When I looked at the bottle, I noticed gross floating stuff  at the bottom of my bottle. That is the yeast growing as it eats the sugar of my ginger beer .

What does it smell like?
When I took the lid off and smelled the liquid, there is a strong smell of ginger combined with soy sauce and real beer but stale

What does it taste like?
When I tasted the drink , it left a fresh sting of ginger on my tongue. The ginger makes it spicy. The yeast has eaten all the sugar so it does not taste too sweet that we threw up

What happens if you shake it?
When I shook the bottle, it started to fizz. This is Carbon dioxide it is a gas that will fizz your ginger beer
Discussion:

What is yeast?  yeast is a living creature that snacks on sugar
What did the yeast do in the Ginger Beer?    not sure
What are some other good uses of Yeast?  to make beer
What are some other bad uses of Yeast?    to leave the yeast in ginger beer and drink it
What are some interesting questions that I would like to find out about this experiment?  how the yeast moves around.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.